Friday, April 10, 2015

Megan Reardon: Creator Extraordinaire

Among the list of potential interviews, the easiest way I thought to pick one was to browse through each and read the pull-out quotes, and see which ones appealed to me. The quotes are obviously somewhat out of context when you're just reading them as they're pulled out, and not in the full quote itself, but I thought it would at least give me an idea of which blogger I'd either most relate to, or enjoy writing about most, From Megan Reardon's interview, three of her quotes jumped out at me when I read through the interview. Namely, the quote "People are much kinder and weirder than we allow ourselves to be in public." I consider myself to be a little weird, so I really liked the honesty of it. Part of what I think is good about blogging is the ability to be so honest. Also, when Reardon admitted "Honestly, I cannot pretend to know what I'm doing" I related to it. Her saying that was in relation to her photography skills, but the pull-out quote itself, out of context, described exactly how I feel about this whole blog thing - I guess I'm just going to learn as I go along, which is what she seems to have done with photography. 

I also really appreciated that Megan was a crafter and a creator - her desire to expand her horizons from simply knitting to both photography and blogging is wonderful, and also inspiring in its own way, because it's something all creators should want to do - grow in the ways that they create, so that they are able to do so in as many ways as is possible. I'm a big writer, given that English is my major, but blogging is a very different kind of writing, so for me this is out of my comfort zone. I imagine it must be even more so for Megan, given that her original outlet of creativity was knitting, not writing. But, her reasoning for starting a blog isn't necessarily for immense popularity, or even for a following. Rather, she said quite simply "I really just needed a place to keep notes on things I was making." And blogging itself is making something, it's furthering a person's creativity, in a much different way than anything else, even regular creative writing. I think I was drawn to Megan's interview because I do relate so strongly to her, in that she was unsure about how to begin a process such as a blog, but it is a welcome challenge - just another great show of creativity.

Stay Crafty, San Diego;
- Ro(by)n Burgundy

No comments:

Post a Comment